White Cane Week activities
In the first full week of February each year, the CCB celebrates White Cane Week, a public awareness campaign which broadens the understanding of vision loss and its impact on all Canadians. Visit the CCB national website for a list of events, information forums, and celebrations across the country.
In 2023, White Cane Week is celebrated Sunday, February 5, through Saturday, February 11, 2023.
White Cane Week 2023 in Toronto
During White Cane Week, the CCB Toronto Visionaries Chapter is reaching out to a broader general public by setting up information tables in local shopping malls across the GTA, to talk with people about vision loss and the supports and services available to those living with seeing disabilities in Toronto. Contact us for a list of locations and dates.
2023 Visionaries Vision Health Month forum
The Visionaries Forum is an interactive panel discussion on a topic of vital interest to all those living with vision loss. Past topics have included the Assistive Devices Program, a patient's rights to full disclosure of all treatment options, and Independence through Gainful Employment.
This year, the ADP Reform Working Group will present progress on bringing the Ontario Ministry of Health's Assistive Devices Program up to date.
- David Schachow, Director, Delivery and Eligibility Review Branch at the Ontario Ministry of Health, responsible for delivery of the ADP;
- Dr. Jutta Treviranus, Director of the Inclusive Design Research Centre (IDRC), and Professor in the Faculty of Design at OCAD University in Toronto;
- Luna Bengio, Senior Accessibility Expert and Strategic Advisor, Government of Canada;
- Dr. Keith Gordon, Senior Research Officer, Canadian Council of the Blind and Principal Investigator of the 2021 ADP Survey; and
- Ian White, President of the Toronto Visionaries Chapter of the CCB.
Join us in person or online
- Date: Saturday, May 27, 2023
- Time: 1:00 PM until 4:30 PM
- Location: Al Green Theatre, on the main floor of the Miles Nadal JCC,
750 Spadina Avenue, Toronto, ON, M5S 2J2
- Register to attend in person. Seating is limited.
- Register to attend virtually.
WCW Experience Expo
White Cane Week Experience Expo, the only major exposition and consumer show for people with vision loss in Canada will be back in 2024! This day-long celebration includes the Expo, the Visionaries forum, and a Community Social Dinner, all held on the same day.
The Experience Expo is an interactive, hands-on exhibition featuring dozens of exhibitors, products and services covering every aspect of the experience of living with vision loss.
Get connected with information on new adaptive technologies, recreation and leisure, tactile art and accessible entertainment, sport & fitness, transportation, education, employment, government supports, advocacy issues and more. Come to the Expo and experience the passion, creativity, wide range of activities, tools and tips for people living with vision loss.
Admission is free!
Contact us by email for more information.
We are grateful to the following for their generous support:
Here's a list of just some of the exhibitors who have exhibited at the Experience Expo in the past:
- Accessible Media Inc.
- Alliance for Equality of Blind Canadians
- Amazing BPS Racing Cane Challenge
- BALANCE for Blind Adults
- Bausch + Lomb
- BELL Mobility Inc.
- Blind Sailing Association of Canada
- Braille Literacy Canada
- CCB Adventures Chapter
- CCB Dragon Boat Toronto/CCB Rocks Chapter
- CCB Mississauga VIP Chapter
- CCB Mysteries Chapter/CCB Blind Tennis
- CCB Road Runners chapter
- CCB Toronto Visionaries chapter
- CCB Toronto Visionaries & Lions bingo
- CELA (Centre for equitable Library Access) and the Toronto Public Library
- CNIB Foundation
- Discover Your Dance Flow (Michael Haltrecht)/Vivian Chong's Graphic memoir & show
- Fighting Blindness Canada
- Get Together with Technology program
- Hands of Fire Blind Sculpture Group
- HT Consulting
- Humanware Technologies
- Inclusive Design Research Centre, Vision Technology Service
- Dr. Ana M. Juricic, Low-vision optometrist
- Magnet, Ryerson University
- Miles Nadal Jewish Community Centre & ReelAbilities Film Festival Toronto
- Ontario Blind Sports Association
- Ontario Chamber of Commerce, Discover Ability Program
- Ontario Ministry for Seniors and Accessibility
- Ontario Visually-Impaired Golfers (OVIG)
- PAL Reading Services Inc.
- Say Hello 2 Blindness
- Shop CNIB/Frontier Accessibility
- Special Needs Computers Inc.
- Spinal Cord Injury Ontario
- Toronto Blind Curling Club
- Toronto Ice Owls Blind Hockey Club
- Trailblazers Tandem Cycling
- VIA Rail
- Vision Aids Inc.
- Vision Loss Rehab Ontario (a CNIB organization)